Monday, June 20, 2011

The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Fairies - Review

Book: The Tiptoe Guide to Tracking Fairies
Author: Ammi-Joan Paquette
Illustrator: Christa Unzner
Publisher: Tanglewood
Reviewed for netGalley


Goodreads Summary:

What better way to celebrate the wonderful world of nature all around us than a hunt for local fairies? Children learn to spot the tell-tale signs of fairies in residence in this delightful mix of photos and illustrations. Then children can take their tracking skills outside to discover the magic in their own backyard.


My thoughts:

I really, really wanted to like this book. I love the concept of looking for fairies with children, how fun and magical! I was one of those kids who believed in fairies, and would spend time looking for them in my garden as a child. So, I was excited when I saw this book. Unfortunately, none of it worked for me. I absolutely did not like the mixture of drawn illustrations with photos, it turned me off, and I couldn't see the point of it. It made it seem more fake than real. The story had some cute moments, such as the fairies drying their wings by moonlight. But the rest of the book was creepy- I think if the illustrations had been handled differently, with drawings only, no photos, I would have like it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.