Sunday, November 20, 2011

Forever - A Review

Title:  Forever - the third book in the Wolves of Mercy Falls series
Author:  Maggie Stiefvater
Source:  Library

Goodreads Summary:

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. InLinger, they fought to be together. Now, in Forever, the stakes are even higher than before. Wolves are being hunted. Lives are being threatened. And love is harder and harder to hold on to as death comes closing in.


My thoughts:  


I loved this book.  It reads like a slow, gentle snowfall, thoughtful and quiet.  And lonely and melancholy in parts as well.  It is a love story, and I believed the love.  This book is not action packed, high paced with non-stop fight scenes; however, the suspense and waiting, waiting, waiting, creates enough anxiety that you don't need it.  I have to say I liked Cole and Isabel more than Sam and Grace, which is typical for me, liking the story lines of minor characters more than the main characters story. Sometimes I think that authors believe they can be more free with supporting characters, let them do things that the main characters can't, and then write them more interesting as a not-intended result.  I love the take on werewolves in this series; it is so different really, from what is out there.  

The so-called bad guy in the book, Tom Culpepper, I couldn't help feeling sorry for him in a way. His son was killed by wolves, I can see how in his anger and grief he would use his power to eradicate them from his landscape.  He is a sympathetic villain.  Or at least I think so.

I think these books are wonderful, gentle reads.  I think they should be read in the middle of winter, under a bunch of blankets and a cup of hot chocolate. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.