Sunday, April 29, 2012

Rules - Review



Rules by Cynthia Lord
Source:  the library I work in

Goodreads Summary:

A heartfelt and witty debut about feeling different and finding acceptance--beyond the rules.

Twelve-year-old Catherine just wants a normal life. Which is near impossible when you have a brother with autism and a family that revolves around his disability. She's spent years trying to teach David the rules-from "a peach is not a funny-looking apple" to "keep your pants on in public"-in order to stop his embarrassing behaviors. But the summer Catherine meets Jason, a paraplegic boy, and Kristi, the next-door friend she's always wished for, it's her own shocking behavior that turns everything upside down and forces her to ask: What is normal?


My thoughts:

I loved this  book, and have reccomended to a few para's and teachers at the school I work at, especially those that work with students that have different needs.  My nephew was born differently, and it kills me when people don't understand his differences.  

Catherine's brother is autistic, and does not process the world like she does.  She makes lists of rules for him to follow, so that he doesn't embarass her in front of other people.  This bothers me a bit about her, but she is a twelve year old girl, and when you get down to it, most twelve year olds just want to be like everyone else, to blend in and not stand out.  She does love her brother though, and defends him when people make fun of him. She befriends a paraplegic who ultimately teaches her to not be embarassed of her brother anymore. 

I think this book is great for any kid to read!

1 comment:

  1. This does sound like a good one! Thanks for a good review.

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.