Saturday, June 23, 2012

Diva - A Review

  Title: Diva
Author: Jillian Larkin
Source: NetGalley

Goodreads Summary:

Parties, bad boys, speakeasies—life in Manhattan has become a woozy blur for Clara Knowles. If Marcus Eastman truly loved her, how could he have fallen for another girl so quickly? Their romance mustn't have been as magical as Clara thought. And if she has to be unhappy, she's going to drag everyone else down to the depths of despair right along with her.

Being a Barnard girl is the stuff of Lorraine Dyer's dreams. Finding out that Marcus is marrying a gold digger who may or may not be named Anastasia? A nightmare. The old Lorraine would have sat by and let the chips fall where they may, but she's grown up a lot these past few months. She can't bear to see Marcus lose a chance for true love. But will anyone listen to her?

Now that the charges against her have been dropped, Gloria Carmody is spending the last dizzying days of summer on Long Island, yachting on the sound and palling around with socialites at Forrest Hamilton's swanky villa. Beneath her smile, though, Gloria's keeping a secret. One that could have deadly consequences . . 

My th0ughts:

I really love to read about this era - I think I am a flapper at heart, and I wish I could have lived during this era, dancing all night long, but sans the mobsters.  This book was the final in this series, and the ending surprised me!

The best part of this book, I thought, was the unlikely pair of Clara and Lorraine, united in their love for Marcus and desire to stop his wedding.  They believe he is marrying a con artist, and team up to make sure he realizes it before it is too late.  Another good duo that evolves is the one that deepens between Lorraine and Melvin.  I knew Lorraine had a heart beneath all her designer fashions!

Gloria's story, as it is in the other two preceding books, is set apart from Lorraine and Clara's.  She is staying with Forrest Hamilton, to find out his secret, so  she can report it to the police, so that she can stay out of jail. Hoo. She ends up uncovering more than one secret, and one is a secret that could get her killed.

The story comes to a big, blow out of a conclusion.  I loved seeing everything all come together in the end.  I don't want to give too much away, so I am keeping this review short.  I think if you like to read about the roaring twenties, you will definitely like this book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.