Saturday, August 18, 2012

City of Bones- Review

Title: City of Bones
Author: Cassandra Clare
Source: Library

Goodreads Summary:

When fifteen-year-old Clary Fray heads out to the Pandemonium Club in New York City, she hardly expects to witness a murder -- much less a murder committed by three teenagers covered with strange tattoos and brandishing bizarre weapons. Then the body disappears into thin air. It's hard to call the police when the murderers are invisible to everyone else and when there is nothing -- not even a smear of blood -- to show that a boy has died. Or was he a boy?

This is Clary's first meeting with the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the earth of demons. It's also her first encounter with Jace, a Shadowhunter who looks a little like an angel and acts a lot like a jerk. Within twenty-four hours Clary is pulled into Jace's world with a vengeance, when her mother disappears and Clary herself is attacked by a demon. But why would demons be interested in ordinary mundanes like Clary and her mother? And how did Clary suddenly get the Sight? The Shadowhunters would like to know. . . . 

Exotic and gritty, exhilarating and utterly gripping, Cassandra Clare's ferociously entertaining fantasy takes readers on a wild ride that they will never want to end.

My thoughts:

I read this book one day while my husband was working, ignoring the housework and errands that needed to be done.  I paid attention to my animals, but that was the only thing that could drag me away from this book.  I have read the Infernal Devices series, so I knew I had to go back and start this one.  I am glad I did!

I think the idea of the Nephilim is a very cool one~ I love this world that Clare has imagined.  It is pretty different that other worlds in other books, and I think it is very well thought out and written.  There are the Shadowhunters, werewolves, vampires, warlocks, fairies, anything you can think of in this book, but I think they are all blended into the story nicely.  

The romantic relationships in this book were the only things weird to me.  I love the character Magnus Bane, but I wonder about his age and his flirting with teenagers.  Maybe I have his age wrong?  And then Jace and  Clary! What! Read below the spoiler line for more on this, if you have read this book or series, or if you aren't planning on reading it.  

Other than those issues, I am excited to see where Clare takes this series.  It is an interesting world she has created, and I am definitely going to read on.  



~Spoilers~



Jace and Clare. Brother and sister. That can't be right, right? Would Clare really do that to readers, make a series where the main character love interest siblings? How do you keep that interest going for readers over a series, I mean, you can't really ever want them to get together?  I hope that it ends up being wrong. I feel that it will all be a hoax or a mistake or something, because I can't believe we would be led to this point for nothing. Right? Right? Lol.  Anyone else read this book or series?  What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.