Friday, May 16, 2014

Book Review Quickies: Wild Iris Ridge and The Widow's Walk

Title: Wild Iris Ridge
Author: RaeAnne Thayne
Source: NetGalley

The perfect stress reliever! I read this book during a very stressful week, and I found it the perfect book to turn to.  A beautiful old home in Hope's Crossing is the setting for this love story of a widower who falls in love with the one woman he never counted on loving, his late wife's wayward cousin. They shared a kiss as teenagers, and that was the end of that relationship, until now. This book is about two lonely people, who finally get together at the right point in their lives. It was a fun, easy read, and I enjoyed it!









Title: The Widow's Walk
Author: Robert Barclay
Source: LibraryThing

I really wanted to enjoy this book. Unfortunately, I just couldn't, no matter how hard I tried. The cover is gorgeous, the summary enticing - but the writing was just too dramatic and over the top. I found the characters to be too unbelievable, and the dialogue...insane. No man would speak like Garrett, who sometimes sounded like an old Victorian lady or something. On top of it all, the two main characters were boring and stilted. All the problems seemed to be neatly sewn up in a sentence or two, here and there.

On the surface, I thought this would be a good book. Once I started reading it, it just wasn't. 
















5 comments:

  1. I'm so sad The Widow's Walk didn't live up to expectations- it's probably not my kind of read anyway, but oh, I dearly love that cover! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh me too! It had such promise but was not good at all!

      Delete
  2. Dang, I just love that cover for The Widow's Walk. I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but sometimes I admit I do. Glad you liked your other choice. I had that kind of week last week and turned to two cozies that I have had on my kindle for forever to get through. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the cover too! So pretty. But you are right, we can't judge a book by its cover - at least not this one. :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on both of these books. The cover of The Widow's Walk is beautiful, I guess it's a prime case for don't judge a book by it's cover. Also, Wild Iris Ridge sounds like a sweet read - it's always nice to enjoy a light read when having a tough week.
    :-)
    Bits & Bobs

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.