Friday, November 13, 2015

What Wyatt's Reading: Fall/Thanksgiving Edition, Part 1!


This month I am still reading autumn and Thanksgiving themed books to the kiddo, with a few extraneous books thrown in for fun. I mean, when you are shopping the library shelves, the books just beckon like jewels sometimes, am I right?


Thanksgiving in the White House by Gary Hines: This book was a lot to read but fascinating! I am not sure how much a small toddler would enjoy it, but maybe an older kid would. Briefly mentions the possible execution of a Civil War soldier so if that sort of thing bothers you, stay away from this book. I really enjoyed this book! 


The Busy Little Squirrel by Nancy Tafuri: Wyatt loved this one - it had huge illustrations and quick little sentences. Fun, simple read for a child, or for a read aloud. 



The Squirrels' Thanksgiving by Steven Kroll: This was a bit longer picture book as well. It was a little dry, but had a good message overall, to be kind  and thankful for other people, especially the ones we love.


What is Punk by Eric Morse:  My husband found this one but we both loved it! We are adding it to Wyatt's permanent library - if you grew up listening to punk or still listen, you will like this book too. It mentions all the big names, including Iggy Pop and Detroit. 


Little Owl's Night by Divya Srinivasan: Probably got the biggest reaction from Wyatt out of them all. He squealed, smacked the pages, scratched them (didn't damage them) - I would say this book was a success. Another book we are adding to our own library. I love to read owl books in November - this is when all the owl prowls start! We are going  to one in December (without Wyatt) - be on the lookout for my recap of that night. 


2 comments:

  1. Great selection of books here. When I was cataloging in new books for the school library one Wednesday, there were some awesome picture books. Seeing them made me miss those ages my girls used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is one of my favorite things to do with Wyatt. I love seeing which books he reacts to excitedly, or those he just sits quietly and listens to. It's always such a peaceful part of the day for us - he has usually just finished eating and is all cuddly baby, the house is quiet, it is just one of those moments, everyday.

      Delete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.