Thursday, January 7, 2016

December ~ A Slightly Homemade Book Club Christmas


Month: December
Hostess: Mary
Book: If You Only Knew by Kristan Higgins
Food: A gigantic party pizza, gooey chocolate cake, and lots of red wine

December book club is tricky. It is always hosted at the begining of January, since December is such a crazy month for all of us - it kind of signifies the final coming down from the holidays, spending some much needed relax time chatting and hanging out with friends.The hostess always suggests the book, but knows that probably none of us will get to it, no matter how much we want to. It is more of a party than a meeting. 

This December, Mary chose Kristan Higgins' book If You Only Knew. I didn't get to it, but I do have it requested from the library and plan to get to it ASAP. A little late but that's ok. Mary is a huge Higgins fan, and through her I have read quite a few good romances. My favorite to date is from the Blue Heron series, In Your Dreams. Plus that cover is adorable.

We also have our gift exchange! Gifts are either homemade or not, and it is always exciting to open the decorated presents and see what our friends have put together and found.

This year I made cinnamon muffin bread.



Mary made a wreath ornament out of wine corks, while Jill bought us texting gloves.Chrissy made us granola and Kelly bought us cute zipper bags with book titles on it. I love it all! 

We had a blast, being goofy together, catching up, and just letting ourselves be ourselves. We didn't have to be mom, a nurse, an office manager, a salesperson - we were able to let go and have fun.

January is my month! I picked The Mourning Hours by Paula Treick DeBoard.

4 comments:

  1. This looks like so much fun. I miss my book club terribly. It disintegrated after our local indie closed. Saddies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw that stinks! We are more of a group of friends first, who get together once a month and read a book - the social aspect comes first, but we do read the book and talk about it. It's fun! Maybe even if you got a bunch of friends together for a more informal book club?

      Delete
  2. One of these days I need to join a book club!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were all friends before we were a book club - the book is almost secondary, but we do read and talk about the book usually. :) It might be a good way to just get together once a month with your friends. :)

      Delete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.