Tuesday, June 14, 2016

My Ultimate Summer Movie Project



Ah the movies. I have had this list brewing in my head for some time, but when Melinda at West Metro Mommy Reads posted about summer movies the other day, it just further fueled the thought. While she posted about movies that remind her of summer, I was a bit more literal with the summer theme ~ I listed as many summer vacation/summer camped themed movies as I could.Some are old nostalgic favorites, others scary, some just funny. I decided that this summer every time Billy and I are at odds about watching a movie, we will pull one of these names from a jar and that is what we watch. I am pretty excited about this. I love themes, and love to stay in season with reading and watching movies. I am weird like that. I can't read or watch winter things in the summer, and vice versa. Unless it is Dr. Zhivago on a really hot day. Like really melting hot. Those scenes of a frozen Russia can really make you feel cooler. Turn your air conditioning off first though. I dare you to try it!

Here is my list, if you are interested. Ultimate might be a bit of a grandiose term, but a list about movies is allowed some drama, in my opinion. 
If you can think of any additions, let me know!

  1. National Lampoon's Vacation 
  2. Tiny Toons How I Spent My Summer Vacation
  3. Cheaper by the Dozen 2
  4. Addams Family Values
  5. Meatballs
  6. Wet Hot American Summer
  7. Sleepaway Camp 
  8. Sleepaway Camp 2
  9. Friday the 13th
  10. Dazed and Confused
  11. Moonrise Kingdom
  12. The Way, Way Back
  13. Now and Then
  14. The Parent Trap (Hayley Mills version only!)
  15. Dirty Dancing
  16. One Crazy Summer
  17. Dr. Zhivago - but only on a really melting hot day
  18. Summer School
  19. The Great Outdoors
  20. The Sandlot
  21. American Grafitti
  22. Stand by Me
  23. Jaws 
  24. Caddyshack
  25. Indian Summer
  26. Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants
  27. Troop Beverly Hills



9 comments:

  1. Fun idea! I imagine drawing from a jar is a great way to resolve a movie disagreement lol. Good list too- I love Dazed and Confused. Awesome music!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Dazed and Confused - great soundtrack, great movie. Lol. Dating myself here, but it came out the year I graduated too.

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I loved Now and Then and Dirty Dancing. A few more suggestions for your list: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, Troop Beverly Hills, and Indian Summer. There is also a John Candy movie about camping (can't remember the name).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!

      Now and Then is such a good movie - I don't feel there are many girl coming of age movies out there, not like that one. :)

      Delete
  3. What a fun idea! My elder daughter's family has movie night together every Friday (and will until her kids get older and don't want to hang out with their family, lol). They all give a suggestion and then they vote on which one to watch. Then they make popcorn, turn off all the lights and cuddle in the family room.

    I've seen a few of your titles listed above and if I'm stuck for something to look for, I might take one of your other suggestions :) You and your hubs come up with fun ideas, like your mini-book-club together.

    Just curious, since my youngest grandkid is now in second grade and I miss this age:
    What is Wyatt into, as in book themes or tv shows? What gets him excited? Have a great week...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw I love that idea!! That is one I am going to have to remember as Wyatt gets older. :)

      Thanks! :) We just finished our latest mini-book club read~ The Raven King. :) That list has so many different types of movies on it, so watch out for the horror ones if you aren't a fan. :)

      Wyatt is really into music - anything musical gets him going. He even snaps already, it is funny. He is allowed to watch Sesame Street in the morning too, while I get ready for the day, and he loves loves loves The Count and Elmo. I was a big time Sesame Street fan so it is not surprising that he likes it too. He is a goofball, he loves to make people laugh and is so expressive and for a kid has a great sense of humor. I didn't know little kids could be like that. His favorite toys are his light up piano, drum, and maracas. I think he might have a future as a musician, which is funny since neither his father nor I can play an instrument. Books he pretty much seems to like whatever I pick out, not too involved in that process yet. :)

      Delete
  4. Yes for the original Parent Trap! I love that one, and now I need to go find a copy to watch! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from people, don't be shy! I would love to hear what you think! I always reply back, although it takes me a bit longer these days due to the little guy.